KOLKATA, (C.M. Paul) – Don Bosco Relic rode into Kolkata city fromHowrahdistrict crossing Hooghly river (a tributary of holy Ganges) on secondHooghlybridge. The motorcade drove past historical monuments of British period like the Race Course, Victoria Memorial,St Paul’s Cathedral, Eastern High Command, Park Hotel, St Xaviers College and Archbishop’s Hose – the entire stretch of Mother Teresa Sarani formerPark Streetof British fame.
Missionaries of Charity house onPark Streetend near the Park Circus seven point traffic crossing had a banner put up with the pictures of Mother Teresa and Don Bosco carrying similar sayings!
The convoy with Highway Police escort was followed by an autorickshaw fitted with two horns (public address system) announcing the arrival of Don Bosco to Kolkata city. The three wheeler owned by a Catholic parishioner of Auxilium Parish Gobra where Don Bosco will stay the first two days, rendered the service of going around announcing Don Bosco’s arrival over the past two days.
Some 60 young people of the parish consisting of Indians of various ethnic origins as well as Chinese formed the outriders on motorbikes carrying flags.
The Salesians started Auxilium Parish in 1974, possibly the largest slum parish in Kolkata, after relinquishing the Cathedral Church on Portughese Church street to the diocese in 1972 where they started their first presence in the city in 1925.