KOLKATA (C.M. Paul) –Salesian archbishop Lucas Sirkar and archbishop coadjutor Thomas D’Souza of Calcutta will ‘meet and greet’ media personnel, 17th January 2012 at 4.00 pm, on the lawns of Archbishop’s House, 32 Mother Teresa Sarani (Park Street). This the first time, that such a programme is being organized during the 125th year celebration of the founding of archdiocese of Calcutta (1886).
In the course of the evening, the prelates will meet and greet and interact with the media personnel who will also have chance to meet and chat with the diocesan commission heads. A short power point presentation on the archdiocese as well as the launch of the newly designed website of the Archdiocese of Calcutta is also planned.
Besides listing information on the Archdiocese, the Archbishop, Diocesan officials and various Commissions, the website has detailed information on schools, social, health and youth services.
“We have designed the site with a simple and friendly look which allows uncomplicated access to the information to visitors. It also facilitates diocesan officials to make relevant updates easily, without any technical knowledge,” claim the website’s developers.
In West Bengal the Archdiocese of Calcutta is the Metropolitan archdiocese with seven dioceses (Asansol, Baruipur, Bagdogra, Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, Krishnagar and Raiganj) linked to it.
The Calcutta archdiocese has 37 parishes and 17 quasi parishes served by 224 priests belonging to the diocesan clergy and 10 religious orders, along with 125 brothers and some 950 religious sisters.
The first Christian settlements in Bengal appeared at the end of the sixteenth century and Bandel Church, perhaps the first church in eastern India, was built in 1599. At Calcutta, the first Catholic Chapel was established in 1700. The Roman Catholic Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary on Brabourne Road was started in 1797.
The Vicariate Apostolic of Bengal, with Calcutta as its headquarters was established in 1834 by the Society of Jesus.