KOLKATA, (C.M. Paul) – A church agency catering to development activities in states of Bengal and Sikkim has a new home of their own. To date, sharing office space with another Church agency Caritas, the Association of Bengal Collaborators for Development (ABCD) had its new office facility blessed and inaugurated, 17 March. The new office located on the fifth floor of the landmark Canton Carpentry building (estd 1959-1964) opposite to Don Bosco Nitika and Seva Kendra Kolkata on Radhanath Chowdhury Road has four large halls which could be partitioned to several rooms.
While Bishop Cyrprian Monis of Asansol cut the ribbon and inaugurated the premises Bishop Clement Tirkey of Jalpaiguri blessed the altar dedicated to Sacred Heart and Our Lady and blessed the rooms.
Bishop Salvador Lobo of Baruipur presided over the Holy Eucharist celebrated in one of the halls along with ten priests and over 30 faithful including diocesan directors of social service, as well as staff.
Present at the event were Mr John Mark Chou, who shared the floor of the building which was his own home with ABCD, and his brother Richard and sister Joan and their family members who occupy other floors of the building.
“The Church in West Bengal cannot forget longstanding and unstinted support of Canton Carpenters. They were there for any new church ventures so that the Church grows stronger and better,” said Bishop Lobo thanking the generosity of the outstanding Chinese family towards the Church in Calcutta.
For over 40 years now ABCD has been serving diocesan social service organizations of eight catholic dioceses of Bengal. While former director of Seva Kendra Kolkata Fr Reginald Fernandes is the director of ABCD, former Catholic Relief Services officer Mr Job Thekkedath is the deputy Director.